Thanks to the well publicized announcement by Fruity Pebbles and others of my VQ at this AO, the PAX showed out in strong numbers (17). We circled up and disclaimer was given.
- 15 SSH IC
- 15 squats IC
- 10 merkins IC
We moseyed over to the football field (i refuse to call it a soccer field) where we began the morning’s workout.
For the length of the football field, perform the following ascending ladder:
- 1 squat + 4 lunges
- 2 squats + 8 lunges
- 3 squats + 12 lunges
- 4 squats + 16 lunges
Admittedly, my intention was for the squats to multiply by two each time (i.e. 1 Sq + 4 lunge, 2 Sq + 8 lunge, 4 Sq + 16 lunge, 8 Sq + 32 lunge, etc.) not add one, however when YHC finished last, I realized something was off. On the way back, Cousteau politely (and discretely, thanks Cousteau) informed me I was doing my workout incorrectly. Obviously I had not been clear with my instructions (Extreme Ownership by Jocko Willink… read it!!) so I adjusted my reps to match what everyone understood me to say and we crawled back down the field following the same rep scheme but with these movements:
- 1 merkin + 4 steps of bear crawl
- 2 merkins + 8 steps of bear crawl
- 3 merkins + 12 steps of bear crawl
- 4 merkins + 16 steps of bear crawl
Plank for the six then mosey over to the baseball field.
7 of Diamonds
PAX counted off into groups of four, each group taking a corner of the baseball field. For a complete revolution of the field, PAX completed 7 reps of a movements at all four stations. That was round 1. We continued this for 7 rounds, changing exercises after each round and increasing reps by 7 until round 4, then decreasing by 7 reps for the final 3 rounds. Plank for the six at each station before rotating. It looked like this:
- Round 1: 7 burpees OYO at each station (28 burpees total)
- Round 2: 14 four-count flutter kicks (IC) at each station (If counting one-is-one, 224 FK total)
- Round 3: 21 merkins OYO at each station (84 merkins total)
- Round 4: 28 squats OYO at each station. (112 squats total) This is where the power of shirtlessness was unleashed!
- Round 5: 21 mountain climbers OYO at each station (84 MC total)
- Round 6: 14 walking lunges OYO at each station (56 walking lunges total)
- Round 7: 7 WWII’s OYO at each station (28 WWII’s total)
As a kicker, (some) PAX sprinted back to the flag. Others moseyed. We were led in Mary for two minutes with some High Dolly’s (Backhoe) and some spinning bear crawl holds?? (Fruity). Siri announced that 0615 had come. Recover.
- Patch’s 2.0 and academics
- Abu’s father and impending surgery
- Aquaman’s family; mom in hospice
- Spinal Tap’s mother-in-law (dementia and Alzheimer’s) and 2.0’s ACT
- Duff’s mom and family
- Welcome Soft Shell’s 2.0 now named Old Bay! ECU viewing party at ECU today at student center, pancake dinner tickets from Duff’s 2.0 (see Duff), Chimi has the Q at 116 tomorrow, SIGN UP FOR SASQUATCH!!!!!!!!!!
The Power of Shirtlessness, as I explained to the group, is the 27% energy boost you receive when you take your shirt off mid-workout. That’s proven science.
This was my first Q at Westside and I was overwhelmed by the turnout. 17 is definitely the most I’ve ever seen there and I believe it was Hot Pursuit who said this AO was almost shut down some time ago due to low participation. What a testament to the guys who have been site Q here and the revival it’s apparently seeing under Fruity Pebbles. I have to give a shoutout to Pulp for the effort I saw him give this morning. Nothing encourages me more than to see another guy pushing through the pain and making his weaknesses into strengths. TClaps to Pulp and every other man who pushed themselves this morning.
On a different note, I need to get this out there to whoever needs to hear it. I’m the number one proponent for “modify as needed”. This allows PAX of all levels to participate and it’s a good thing. However, there’s a difference between modifying as needed and cutting corners. If you’re physically able to complete the exercise with proper form for the number of prescribed sets/reps and you don’t so that you can finish first or for some other inconceivable reason, that’s cutting corners. That’s shorting yourself. Cutting corners is for low impact men. I know because I used to do it all the time and it creeps into work life and family/personal life. Don’t cut corners, it’s bad for your health. Grout out.