“Play the Man”, by Mark Batterson (DVD and Guided Series, Session 2, “Seven Virtues of the Man”
Summer series of weekly gatherings, hosted by Hot Pursuit, Tuesday evenings, 7 p.m. – 8:15 pm. Aim is to build closer relationships among participating PAX and provide a forum for sharing common issues, concerns and for helping build spiritual fitness for life’s journey and for service to our Lord. Better men, better husbands, better fathers, better Christ Followers modeling our faith courageously in the communities where we live and work.
Disclaimer: These sessions are informal and lay-led. PAX are encouraged to be open about their thoughts and feelings. We will respect each other and realize that we may come from different faith backgrounds (or no religious/faith background at all) and acknowledge that all are at different points in their spiritual development and life’s challenges.
Warm Up: Hot Pursuit welcomed the PAX, reviewed the material from last week. Opened with prayer.
- Read: 1 Corinthians 13:4-7 (ESV) Love is patient and kind; love does not envy or boast; it is not arrogant or rude. It does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful; it does not rejoice at wrongdoing, but rejoices with the truth. Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.
- Discussed men who we thought of as “tough men”
- Watched video segment
- Video focused on two of seven virtues covered in the Play the Man book. Examples in video were of Charles Lindbergh and Ike Eisenhower with background stories of each. Focus was on “tough love”…. love that is unconditional, given even when undeserved, selfless, etc.
- Also discussed the virtue of “vision”, and how important it is to have a personal vision, mission statement, and even one for a marriage/family, if applicable.
- PAX were challenged to think about creating or refining a life mission and vision statement that is aligned with God’s purpose for our lives to be high impact Christ followers. PAX were also challenged to think about the seven virtues presented and pick one or two to deliberately work on to strengthen/improve.
Prayer requests shared