THE Q and the Twelve PAX, 3rd F Bible Study Group
Session 1, 1/16/2018: The Master Who Called Them
Welcome – Introductions (Task, Condition, Standard); Small Group Rules of Engagement
YHC was excited during the holiday period about the resumption of the Tuesday night Bible study. Although several possible topics or themes were discussed with Gazelle (3rd F Q), YHC kept coming back to a book about the twelve disciples of Jesus previously read. The parallels with our Q and PAX model in F3 and the idea of Jesus being the “Q” of all time and working with some selected rather ordinary (to start out with) “PAX” in the “AO” of Galilee in the region of Israel. Did the outline build and hit the twitter machine. Start date and time arrived. PAX came rolling in, and we were off like a dirty shirt.
Disclaimer: YHC is not a theologian or ordained minister. YHC is a lay leader facilitating this topical study. Respect each other and the fact that we will have men with different levels of biblical knowledge and from different faith backgrounds attending. We desire to create a comfortable setting to allow attending PAX to share with each other and “push the rock” on their spiritual journey, aided by the power of small group interaction and the Holy Spirit.
Warm Up: YHC opened the session in prayer.
Theme and References: Study of Jesus’ Calling of the Twelve Disciples – Character Study and More; References: Bible and “Twelve Ordinary Men”, by John MacArthur, Workbook, “The Apostles”, by Kenneth Wyatt
“How the Master shaped His disciples for greatness, and what He wants to do with YOU….”
Schedule: Went over the session schedule for the next two months.
- The Q; the PAX; the AO
- What is a “Disciple”?
- Why “ordinary men”?
1 Corinthians 1:26-29 (ESV)
26 For consider your calling, brothers: not many of you were wise according to worldly standards,[a] not many were powerful, not many were of noble birth. 27 But God chose what is foolish in the world to shame the wise; God chose what is weak in the world to shame the strong; 28 God chose what is low and despised in the world, even things that are not, to bring to nothing things that are, 29 so that no human being[b] might boast in the presence of God.
- Timing – The moment in history, the dawning of the New Covenant and the arrival of the Messiah
- Prayer – The Q devoted significant “working prayer” time prior to calling his inner circle PAX
- Why 12? – Significant number for a number of reasons. Sent signal to the religious community of the time….. a new order was being set into place. Q was sharpening focus on his more intense training plan on a smaller group.
- Reviewed meaning of the words “disciple” and “apostle”
- Read scriptures recording the selection of the disciples from several gospels.
- Key Points from TOM Book – Hot on several key aspects of the circumstances leading to the identification of the Twelve, and set up the foundation for next week’s discussion of the attributes of the Disciples as a whole.
Prayer Requests: Several shared, Charlie Brown led the closing prayer to finish us out.
Moleskin: Great turnout for the launch of this series, and the fact that our attendance count was TWELVE was not lost on YHC! Wow. This is going to be an exciting series, and YHC was humbled and inspired by the number of PAX who have already volunteered to take an assigned disciple, do some extra credit preparations, and introduce their “PAX” (disciple) to the group on their assigned night of focus for that particular character. Several other F3 ENC PAX expressed their desire to join in with this series, but just couldn’t make it for this particular session. That’s fantastic, and there is plenty of room to have more attend. Each week will be stand alone, so PAX need not feel like they will be lost if they join in at any time. HP out.